The DUB package manager

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Feb 17 07:06:43 PST 2013

On 2013-02-17 15:28, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

> I see some things like windows/non-windows specific flags and a lot of
> path handling and infrastructure stuff (which the build tool would do
> itself).

The D script contains a lot of utility functions that would be available
in the build tool. It emulates the rakefile to stay backwards compatible.

> Anything in particular that you think is not easily doable with
> the data driven approach?

I don't know the build scripts very well since I have not written them.
It has several targets. Base, swt, snippets and so on.

> BTW, I think build files like these are the perfect example for what I
> mean with complexity and scaring away people. I'm sure it all makes
> sense, but my vision of a build system is that it goes out of the
> developers way instead of forcing him to maintain a whole sister project
> alongside the actual code.

I really hate that build script. I really hope that a proper build
system will handle DWT with just a simple build script.

--
/Jacob Carlborg