WPFfor d

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:18:31 PST 2013

On Sunday, 17 February 2013 at 19:06:41 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-02-17 20:00, Adam Wilson wrote:
>
>> If you're looking for something that is as easy to use as WPF
>> with as
>> much power, you won't find it in the open-source world. WPF is
>> over
>> 40,000 classes strong, and while Open-Source is generally good
>> for large
>> systems projects WPF requires some specialized knowledge to
>> pull off
>> with any success. I have the graphics training required and I
>> would love
>> to get started on a WPF for D but given that it is such a huge
>> undertaking i'd need help, if you're interested in helping let
>> me know.
>> I'd love to put together a team and starting hacking out some
>> code....
>
> I've been thinking for a long time to try and serialize widgets
> in DWT. And then build a tool for graphically creating GUIs. I
> guess that's similar to how XAML works.

The features that WPF has is XAML - The ability to do much of gui
design in a markup language, Binding - The ability to bind
variables to each other so one can update another, good "widgets"
that all support these types of features, retained mode graphics,
and a whole framework that is tightly integrated with the design.

Of course, you pay a high price in performance for this but
generally it works well for business applications.

XAML is basically similar in concept html but it is designed to
tie in well with code behind. Anything you do in XAML can be done
in code behind. QT 5 has something similar now and maybe better.
(in fact, QT seems to have picked up a bunch of wpf concepts and
ran with them)