Java binaries

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:37:13 PST 2013

On Sunday, 17 February 2013 at 09:47:08 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Sorry to come to this thread late, and apologies if I am
> missing the
> real point to this thread.
>
> On Sun, 2013-02-17 at 10:13 +0100, js.mdnq wrote:
>> On Sunday, 17 February 2013 at 07:53:15 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>
> Running Java in the browser is now unlikely to ever happen
> again.  If
> anything the target should be JavaScript or Dart, and even Dart
> would be
> a huge risk.

> A lot of work is going into creating Python executability in
> browsers.
> Skulpt, Brython, etc., but traction is minimal. Browsers mean
> HTML5 and
> ECMAScript (aka JavaScript)
>

>> > Java doesn't have pointers, so right off the bat there'd be
>> > big problems.
>>
>> Java does have pointers... you just can't get to them easily.
>> At the very least, you could allocate and manage your own
>> chunk of memory and do all the pointer arithmetic yourself on
>> that chunk. This would require the chunk to be pinned in some
>> way and the GC to be turned off but it is an option.
>
> There is the possibility of using NIO2 buffers in ways that
> were never
> envisaged. This is effectively what happened in RTSJ, which was
> real-time systems framework using Java and JVM. RTSJ sadly was
> too far
> ahead of its time and so died. The last vestige will die when
> the Mars
> Rover does.
>
>> Also, have you looked much at sun.misc.Unsafe?
>
> You really don't want to go there ;-)
>
> Obviously for garbage collection and concurrency and
> parallelism control
> you have to go there so as to subvert the JVM object model. The
> question
> is that unless you are working on the G1 garbage collector or
> java.util.concurrent primitives, is there any point?
>
>> Or maybe one could use the JNI to write an external memory
>> manager for each platform and all pointer arithmetic is passed
>> through that. Of course, if one goes this far then any "javaD"
>> would need to be able to work well with importing java
>> libraries to be of any use.
>
> Sounds like a mountain rather than a molehill. We are looking at
> something vaguely analogous to get CUDA and OpenCL working from
> GPars/Groovy/Java. Good for users, very ugly for implementors.
>
> Unless there is a mapping of the semantics of a language to the
> intermediate code of the platform, then it is better not to
> bash head on
> wall but to go put energies into something more productive. If
> the D
> semantics cannot be mapped down to the JVM bytecodes, then D is
> not a
> language you want to run on the JVM. Given
> Java/Scala/Kotlin/Ceylon/Groovy as the static languages and
> Groovy/JRuby/Jython/Closure as the dynamic languages (yes
> [...]

Everything started out as minor and if D's language features are
truly good and D is as well designed as some think then people
will migrate to it. Essentially "If you build it they will come"
type of scenario.

Those that would use a D for java type of language can't so there
is no way to measure how successful it would be.

Virtual machine programming has many benefits but we definitely
do not need another one. Hence, it would be nice to leverage
java, which already has build up it's user base to further the D
language paradigm. I like D but so far it doesn't seem to be
going anywhere. Why? Because one already has all these other
languages and tools to do the job.

Imagine this:

Suppose with a snap of your fingers you could have the following
products:

High stable and performant D compiler for all the major
platforms(including many embedded) with a large collection of
support tools.

A D virtual machine that runs on many platforms. A D for java
compiler that compiles almost any D program into java bytecode
and use java libraries.

etc...

Now, if you had all this stuff magically out there do you think
that the userbase for D would explode? I do... In fact, it would
happen for most decent languages. (of course, we could argue
about the exact details but D would become a major player within
a few years)

Hence, having this stuff is important for D's success. Of course,
it may not be possible in some cases or sacrifices have to be
made. In any case I'm not convinced that a D for java can't be
implemented and I do feel it would further D's popularity.

Of course, D is still in it's infancy but it would be cool it
someone was interested in trying to make a D for java and see
where it goes. I think something useful would come out of it.
(Please don't say I should do it either...)