Orange - Free from D1/Tango

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Feb 17 19:36:38 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 07:22:03PM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/17/2013 1:43 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >I believe the purpose of the library is to provide convenient saving /
> >serialized, and non-serialized fields are the exception rather than the
> >norm.  So it makes sense to serialize by default and mark out fields
> >that shouldn't be serialized.
>
> I've done some work with serialization, and it was a minority of the
> data types that needed serialization.

Wait, I thought the whole point was that the user code specifically asks
for the serialization of a particular data structure, so presumeably
most of the objects recursively referenced by that object will tend to
be data objects where the vast majority of fields should be serialized.

I don't think the point was to blindly serialize every object in the
program?

If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
themselves upon execution. -- Robert Sewell