Possibility of non stop-the-world GC in the future?

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Mon Feb 18 04:54:24 PST 2013

Am 18.02.2013 13:40, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
> On 02/18/2013 11:35 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>> I wen't down this path already and I ended up not using the GC at all:
>>
>> http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/?p=20
>
> But reading your blog post, it seems that the main problem was not GC in
> the general sense, but the fact that for various functionality druntime
> makes unnecessary allocations.  Deal with those, and with-GC D ought to
> speed up a lot.  Or have I misunderstood what you wrote?

The main problem is that programming with a GC encourages programming
with memory leaks. As the gc will take care of any leaked memory and you
don't get any feedback about how much memory you actually allocate.
Also even if you do manual pooling and use a GC you still pay a big
performance impact because the GC will scan the pooled memory without
actually freeing anything. But scanning takes time too. And those
interrupts by the GC will be long enough to interrupt regular gameplay.
D would at least need a incremental Mark & Sweep to be usable in games.
But in my opinion a GC is not needed at all when developing games, it
makes a lot of sense for other fields though.

--
Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut