The DUB package manager

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:15:16 PST 2013

On Monday, 18 February 2013 at 23:16:11 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html
>
> Look at all that idiotic bullshit the users have to deal with
> just for something that *could* have been a trivial
> download/extract/run

It is simple, rational and I'll take it any day over
download/extract/run idiom. Actually, I stopped installing
anything without making a package before a long time ago. Other
for Windows, of course, but, oh well, it is Windows. You sound
biased.

> Secondly, where do you get that crazy idea that all end-users
> only
> ever have one OS to deal with? ATM, I've got a couple windows
> machines,
> a kubuntu desktop (old), and a debian 6 server. And that's not
> counting
> VMs.

It is possible, but if you have a single language to deal with
and a lot of OSes, your cases is probably a minority and few OSes
with lot of languages are more relevant. I use 4 OSes in daily
workflow too and I honestly can't imagine how can you use one
without learning package manager in details anyway. Sorry, but is
sounds completely ignorant.

> Other people have even more than that, and it doesn't help
> anyone to
> have a totally different set of instructions for doing the same
> damn thing each one. *I* can install any version of DMD I want
> on any
> of my systems by doing this:
>
> dvm install 2.0xx

And it is one more command to know as your supposed to know your
package manager _anyway_. It is a damn first thing to learn about
your distro.

> And finally, there's two types of users here, lib users and app
> users:

I am speaking about dependencies here. They naturally leak from
build system to distribution package. And if you think that large
HDDs is a reason to package boost libs for hundreds of times,
than I need to thank very same fucked up logic for having Core i7
sometimes behave as slow as 10 year old Celeron on trivial
applications.

P.S. gems are Ruby, not Python