simd comparison operator?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:04:34 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 19 February 2013 at 16:46:36 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> John Colvin:
>
>>> I think the right design here is to return a bool[N].
>> There is significant opposition to any simd operators that
>> allocate. The reasoning is that they appear fast but are in
>> actual fact slow (for most normal size vectors, the allocation
>> would be much slower than the calculation itself).
>>
>> I love the features of numpy and matlab etc. when it comes to
>> array operations, many of which allocate implicitly, but
>> Walter and others were quite adamant they they do not belong
>> in D, a position I've come to agree with.
>
> Can't D allocate that bool[N] on the stack?
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Perhaps it could, but it would be:

a) quite counter-intuitive. An operation between two normal, heap
allocated arrays generating a stack allocated array, with the
scoping rules that entails?

b) very easy to cause stack overflow in a way that would be
totally confusing to someone who wasn't aware of the
implementation.