Java binaries

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Tue Feb 19 13:59:40 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 19 February 2013 at 21:30:53 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 17.02.2013 21:47, schrieb Walter Bright:
>> On 2/17/2013 1:46 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>>> The world is split into native code, PVM, JVM,
>>> JavaScript/ECMAScript. D
>>> only really has a play in one of these, and needs to get real
>>> traction
>>> there first before looking for new lands to conquer. Else it
>>> risks being
>>> seen as a solution looking for a problem to solve.
>>
>> I agree. There was at one time a D implementation on .net, but
>> it
>> suffered from .net's lack of support for pointers, which meant
>> that
>> slices performed poorly.
>>

> So how are C++ and C# pointers done in IL ?

There are two kind of pointers in C#: managed and unmanaged.
Wrapped in a fixed statement (just to tell the garbage collector
to keep fixed references), C# pointers will behave like any
native language pointer. This is not the first topic where I read
that misconception that slices are a problem for IL. From .net
2.0 (9 years ago) there is the ArraySegment<T> type doing exactly
what D slices do. Also, in C# arrays are implicitely convertible
to pointers.

Anyway, I don't see any use for a D IL compiler, since probably
the language syntax will look 90% like C#.