The DUB package manager

Moritz Maxeiner moritz at ucworks.org
Wed Feb 20 02:32:34 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 03:52:12 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:

> Incidentally, the "MUST_CLONE_MACOSX",
> "MUST_TAKE_CONTROL_AWAY_FROM_USER" just happen to also be the
> exact same
> reasons I'm fed up with all forms of Windows post-XP. I'll never
> understand why so many people have been so obsessed with
> cloning an OS
> that's never even managed to reach double-digit market share.
> It's like
> trying to clone the Ford Edsel: Why? Even if some people like
> it,
> they'll just use the real thing anyway.

Since we're getting further OT I'll just mark this
[OT]
With MS I see it as a marketing attempt to keep as many users
with windows as possible, because Apple had been getting many
users with their "we're different" approach. Combine that with
the fact that the normal PC/Laptop-market has been slowly going
into decline ever since the rise of the tablet-hype (and there
doesn't seem to be an end in sight for that) the facts seem to be
to me that a lot of the "common" people these days use their
computers for to things: Youtube and Facebook (and derivates
thereof), maaaybe newssites as well.
And since Apple were the ones who succesfully pushed for feasible
commercial tablets (not the first, but the ones who started the
hype) their OS more or less became "the design to be or to be
close to in mobile computing", hence everyone with a lot of money
invested in OS design tries to copy them.
At least that is how I see the developments of the recent years^^
[/OT]

> With Linux, when I outgrew Ubuntu I went upstream to Debian.
> Seemed the
> most sensible choice given their close relationship and my
> Ubuntu
> familiarity. I've had my eye on Mint, but, I dunno, it seems a
> little
> too "downstream". And like I said, I'm starting to keep an eye
> on Arch
> now too.

Another potention Archlinux user GET *evil laugh*.

> Ahh, thanks for all the info :)
>
> As for the X11 stuff, that's still more manual than I'd like
> when it
> comes to X11. (Like I said, I've had *BIG* problems dealing
> directly
> with X11 in the past.) But I may give it a try. I'm sure it's
> improved
> since the nightmares I had with it back around 2001/2002, but I
> still worry *how* much improved... Heck, I've even had X11
> problems as
> recently as Ubuntu 10.

Ah, okay, that's strange but I can understand that. The only
problems I ever had with X was that I had to add an InputClass to
the evdev file because evdev otherwise kept refusing to enable
USB mice(s).

> No prob :) But I don't think OS-package-managers are evil (like
> I've
> said, I like "apt-get install" *when it works*). It's just that
> think it's patently absurd when people claim that
> OS-package-managers
> are the *only* good way to go and that there's no good
> legitimate
> purpose for language-based OS-independent stuff. As long as
> they're
> OS-dependent there will always be legitimate reasons for
> alternatives.

Ah, your previous posts sounded a bit like that, but I just read
too much into them, then, I guess. I just hope either one of dub
or orbit gets succesfully adopted as the standard D package
manager, or that they're going to be compatible with each other
in some way. I'd hate to see something (even remotely) similar to
the initial phobos/tango breakup happening again (I was quite
suprised that the language as a whole was able to survive that).