D is coming to a town near you

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:36:56 PST 2013

20-Feb-2013 23:00, H. S. Teoh пишет:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 09:48:25PM +0400, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> [...]
>> In brief I was half-sleeping in a train when a young guy
>> takes a seat next to me. He pulls out a laptop and powers it up.
>>
>> Idly wondering what I'll see this time around (HTML/JS? Python/Ruby?
>> MS Word, PowerPoint?) to my surprise I notice it boots Arch linux.
>>
>> Cute... and then the guy starts X11 from the console... (dubious)
>> with Xfce (+1 from me, though I'm with Cinnamon now).
>>
>> The next thing he does: fire up a terminal and Geany.
>>
>> Command line goes like:
>>
>> cd Code/D
>>
>> cd <some-project>
>>
>> git pull
>>
>> And then he's off furiously hacking on some GTK-based project written
>> in D.  (I omit the details, though the repo is public) Actually it's
>> some kind of client-server file transfer utility, alpha quality it
>> seems. I even checked the repo, seems like he's involved in some tiny
>> software startup.
>>
>> Bottom line for me this kind of thing beats TIOBE index any day of the
>> week :)
> [...]
>
> Wait, wait, so you're saying, this random guy sitting next to you is, of
> all things, coding in D, and you didn't even have a conversation with
> him?!

It felt like a dream I was afraid to break this nice illusion, only
half-joking :)

Seriously, it feels like I've lost an opportunity to get acquainted with
the local D resistance cell. But what's the hell, my email is there in
the open and the guy seems to peruse the NG (d coder?).

--
Dmitry Olshansky