D is coming to a town near you

1100110 0b1100110 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:50:26 PST 2013

On 02/20/2013 06:55 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 01:55:00AM +0100, Rob T wrote:
>> On Thursday, 21 February 2013 at 00:48:50 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> It's the most important issue for me. Particular feature bugs can
>>> be worked around, lack of shared library support is insurmountable
>>> for many applications.

I was playing with LuaD (https://github.com/JakobOvrum/LuaD) and was
disappointed to learn that the only way to call D functions from Lua is
for the lua code to be 'inside' a D module. (string l = "lua goes here";
or similar)

There are a few tricks you can perform, but it placed a very real limit
on its usefulness.  Which is sad because other than that LuaD is beautiful.

>> Yes, it's a major barrier towards adoption in a production
>> environment. Walter said it's now a priority, so I cross the fingers
>> and hope.
> [...]
>
> Better yet, maybe more of us should start delving into DMD's code...
> Currently only a small number of people really understand the compiler,
> which has a rather low bus factor. We need to increase that (not only to
> improve the bus factor, but also so that more people are aware of
> compiler issues and hopefully how to fix them).

I only know enough C/C++ to know that I don't know enough...
If I could, I would totally go tearing through the source right now.

But some of it seems ambiguous to me.  I'm afraid I'd do more harm than
good.