The DUB package manager

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Feb 21 03:09:28 PST 2013

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:32:34 +0100
"Moritz Maxeiner" <moritz at ucworks.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 03:52:12 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> wrote:
> >
> > Incidentally, the "MUST_CLONE_MACOSX",
> > "MUST_TAKE_CONTROL_AWAY_FROM_USER" just happen to also be the
> > exact same
> > reasons I'm fed up with all forms of Windows post-XP. I'll never
> > understand why so many people have been so obsessed with
> > cloning an OS
> > that's never even managed to reach double-digit market share.
> > It's like
> > trying to clone the Ford Edsel: Why? Even if some people like
> > it,
> > they'll just use the real thing anyway.
>
> Since we're getting further OT I'll just mark this
> [OT]
> With MS I see it as a marketing attempt to keep as many users
> with windows as possible, because Apple had been getting many
> users with their "we're different" approach. Combine that with
> the fact that the normal PC/Laptop-market has been slowly going
> into decline ever since the rise of the tablet-hype (and there
> doesn't seem to be an end in sight for that) the facts seem to be
> to me that a lot of the "common" people these days use their
> computers for to things: Youtube and Facebook (and derivates
> thereof), maaaybe newssites as well.
> And since Apple were the ones who succesfully pushed for feasible
> commercial tablets (not the first, but the ones who started the
> hype) their OS more or less became "the design to be or to be
> close to in mobile computing", hence everyone with a lot of money
> invested in OS design tries to copy them.
> At least that is how I see the developments of the recent years^^
> [/OT]

Mobile is where all the buzz is, but I'm pretty sure most computer
usage is still desktop/laptop. Just because tablet hasn't peaked yet
doesn't mean it won't. But, of course, that doesn't mean that MS
necessarily sees it that way. I don't doubt many of them see
Apple's "buzz" and mistake that for overall numbers compared to
desktop/laptop (An area where apple is still doing no better than they
ever have - So I don't know what brain defect made MS decide Win7 needed
to be an OSX clone).

It's a *very* common mistake in the computer world, confusing amount of
buzz with amount of actual usage. For example, a few years ago, from
the way people talked, you would have thought most internet users were
on Second Life. Huge buzz, and yea, enviable raw numbers, but
proportionally still *very* much a niche. Very similar thing today with
the twitface sites. Most people *don't* use them, but try telling any
suit that. They think "buzz == reality".