The DUB package manager

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Thu Feb 21 13:06:36 PST 2013

On Sunday, 17 February 2013 at 07:23:22 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> You might want to list all the dependencies needed for dub or
>> distribute them in a zip.
>>

> They are in the .zip now and I listed the dependencies on the
> download
> page. Sorry, the distribution stuff is still very much ad-hoc
> ATM. I'll
> make some installers once the build process is automated.
>
>> Ah I didn't spot the download link
>> http://registry.vibed.org/download
>>
>> I guess this could be made more visible by adding a link to the
>> download page from the github repository, and maybe putting
>> the { *
>> Using DUB * Download * Publishing packages * Helping developme
>> }
>> section at the top instead of the bottom.
>
> There now is a link on the github page + a note for non-Windows
> that
> libevent/libssl are needed. I also added a short sentence how
> to build
> by hand. The dependencies will also likely change to just
> libcurl at
> some point with a make file or something to make bootstrapping
> as simple
> as possible.

Personally, I think that libcurl-only dependency is an important
goal. Dub's third-party dependencies are far too "modern." For
example, I have an older Ubuntu instance I use for testing
(10.10), where libevent 2.x simply isn't available (can't run
your binary, and can't compile your source).

For Vibe, these may be acceptable requirements, but not for a
general packaging tool.

I would hope that a future version of Dub wouldn't have any
dependencies on Vibe, either. That's an odd bootstrapping
arrangement.

Best,
Graham