D is coming to a town near you

Rikki Cattermole pbdadmin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:09:52 PST 2013

On Thursday, 21 February 2013 at 17:02:06 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> 21-Feb-2013 12:48, Rikki Cattermole пишет:
>> On Thursday, 21 February 2013 at 00:57:46 UTC, H. S. Teoh
>> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Better yet, maybe more of us should start delving into DMD's
>>> code...
>>> Currently only a small number of people really understand the
>>> compiler,
>>> which has a rather low bus factor. We need to increase that
>>> (not only to
>>> improve the bus factor, but also so that more people are
>>> aware of
>>> compiler issues and hopefully how to fix them).

>> I just want to say, as I have only worked in D for ~6 months
>> the usage
>> of Optilink is a real pain.
>
> Checkout this alternative linker:
> ftp://ftp.styx.cabel.net/pub/UniLink/
>
> The only issue is that it converts debug info to some other
> format compatible with Borland's tools (TDS?).
>
>> Couple of days ago I took a strong look at removing 64bit only
>> code from
>> Coff support and allowing it to compile 32bit.
>> I failed yes.
>> But I definitely will take another look into this.
>> Hopefully learn wayy more of how it works!

Been there tried that. Wasn't terribly happy with it.
The removal of 64bit code generation in coff format isn't a
killer for me.
But it does make it harder. I can make do without it as I really
only want my apps to be running on newer i5+ gear.
Its more of something to learn the compiler and help the
community out a bit. Since I know that there will be others that
would think this is a killer for not using D.