Volunteer for research project?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Feb 21 21:09:25 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:02:51PM -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
> Would any of you be interested in helping out (read that as "doing") a
> research / data mining project for us?  I'd love to take all of the
> regressions this year (or for the last year, or whatever period of
> time can be reasonably accomplished) and track them back to which
> commit introduced each of them (already done for some of them).  From
> there, I'd like to see what sort of correlations can be found.  Is
> there a particular area of code that's responsible for them.  Is there
> a particular feature (spread across a lot of files, maybe) that's
> responsible.  Etc.
>
> Maybe it's all over the map.  Maybe it will highlight one or a few
> areas to take a harder look at.
>
> Anyone interested?
[...]

I'm surprised nobody offered to help, seeing as there are many
complaints about DMD bugs.

Well, I'd love to help, but I can't promise I'll have the time to do a
lot.  But I'm reasonably comfortable with running git bisect to isolate
the offending commits; so if you'll send me a list of issues, I could
try to work through it at whatever pace I can manage and send you the
results. I hope it won't be just me, though, 'cos I probably won't have
the time to do a lot, but if there's a team of people working on it,
I'll love to chip in.

Don't know how much help I'll be in the correlation part, though. But I
suppose that will have to come from comparing offending commits to look
for patterns.

"Real programmers can write assembly code in any language. :-)" -- Larry Wall