Volunteer for research project?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 22 09:55:17 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 06:40:34PM +0100, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 2/22/13, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps we can setup something that uses this for automatically
> > finding the breaking commits.
>
> We would also need this script to automatically checkout commits for
> DMD+Druntime+Phobos which are known to work together. Sometimes you're
> reducing a Phobos bug, but an older version of Phobos might not
> compile with a newer version of the compiler, so the 3 components need
> to be kept relatively in sync (commits of all 3 components should be
> as close to the date of a specific commit).

Actually, a script would be necessary in any case, because otherwise
you'd have to repeatedly do cd dmd; git checkout ...; cd ../druntime;
git checkout ...; cd ../phobos; git checkout ...; then rebuild each one,
then test, etc..

A script for checking out druntime/phobos at some particular date (based
on what git bisect selected in dmd, say), would ease a lot of this
tedium.

"I'm not childish; I'm just in touch with the child within!" - RL