D development env using Vagrant

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Fri Feb 22 10:13:34 PST 2013

Am Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:02:01 +0100
schrieb Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com>:

> I was thinking if it would be a good idea to setup a virtual machine
> with a development environment for D. The virtual machine would contain
> everything needed to start development using D and to start contributing
> to D.
>
> Vagrant could be an alternative for doing this.
>
> http://www.vagrantup.com/
>
> What do you think.

I think contributing to D requires more than a VM image
download and a good old Wiki page gets the job done as well.
When you dived in that far you probably have a native
installation.
It's something different to have additional VMs to test code
on Linux, Windows and MacOS X without rebooting. But obviously
you cannot offer downloads of Windows and MacOS X.

What do you think is missing for a beginner when they open up
dlang.org and download DMD for their platform? Probably a curl
installation on Windows? A GUI toolkit? Obvious links to the
News Group or Wiki?

--
Marco