The DUB package manager

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Feb 23 09:17:37 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:57:23PM +0100, simendsjo wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 February 2013 at 16:44:59 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> wrote:
> (...)
> >Anyone still using Java is just so last decade ;)
>
> I've managed to dodge Java all these years, but I just started a
> college which teach Java. Even after using it only for a couple of
> thousand lines of code, I understand the hatred.. Feels like I'm in
> a straitjacket. Yes, it might be easy to learn, but damn it's
> verbose!

That was my reaction too, when I first starting learning Java. And that
is still my reaction today.

It's not a *bad* language per se. In fact, a lot of it is quite ideal.
Or rather, idealistic, should I say. Unfortunately, that makes it a pain
to map to messy real-world situations -- you end up with a truckload of
wrappers and incrediblyLongAndVerboseIdentifiers just so the language
can remain "pure". As for being a straitjacketed language, this IOCCC
entry says it best:

	http://www.ioccc.org/2005/chia/chia.c

;-)

He who sacrifices functionality for ease of use, loses both and deserves
neither. -- Slashdotter