The DUB package manager

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 09:44:30 PST 2013

23-Feb-2013 21:17, H. S. Teoh пишет:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:57:23PM +0100, simendsjo wrote:
>> On Saturday, 23 February 2013 at 16:44:59 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
>> wrote:
>> (...)
>>> Anyone still using Java is just so last decade ;)
>>
>> I've managed to dodge Java all these years, but I just started a
>> college which teach Java. Even after using it only for a couple of
>> thousand lines of code, I understand the hatred.. Feels like I'm in
>> a straitjacket. Yes, it might be easy to learn, but damn it's
>> verbose!
>
> That was my reaction too, when I first starting learning Java. And that
> is still my reaction today.

Aye. To my chagrin I have to work with Java quite a lot since late 2012.

I have to say that no amount of provided out of the box nice libraries
and top-notch GC help alleviate the dire need for plain value-types and
some kind of terseness (rows of static final int xyz = blah; to define a
bunch of constants). With Java version being 5 or 6 (as is usually the
case in production ATM) there is basically not a single construct to
avoid horrible duplication of information on each line.

There are few shortcuts in Java 7, and even more stuff in Java 8 but all
of it is coming horribly too late and doesn't fix the "big picture".
Plus that has to propagate into the  mainstream.

--
Dmitry Olshansky