The DUB package manager

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Feb 23 11:52:17 PST 2013

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 09:17:37 -0800
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:57:23PM +0100, simendsjo wrote:
> > On Saturday, 23 February 2013 at 16:44:59 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> > wrote:
> > (...)
> > >Anyone still using Java is just so last decade ;)
> >
> > I've managed to dodge Java all these years, but I just started a
> > college which teach Java. Even after using it only for a couple of
> > thousand lines of code, I understand the hatred.. Feels like I'm in
> > a straitjacket. Yes, it might be easy to learn, but damn it's
> > verbose!
>
> That was my reaction too, when I first starting learning Java. And
> that is still my reaction today.

When I used it, it was back when v2 was new. To it's credit, it *did*
teach me to hate C++'s module system and classes. But, yea,
"staightjacket" and "verbose" are the right words. (And if an
advanced IDE is *required* to make a language usable, then the language
sucks).

I know there's been improvements from v5+, but by then I had already
switched to the [at least at the time] far superior C# (which I've since
gotten fed up with too, and abandoned completely in favor of D). Any
modern Java improvements are just far too little, far too late. They
could fix all it's problems tomorrow, but won't matter because the
damage to its reputation has already been done.

Plus does any serious coder really trust Oracle?

> It's not a *bad* language per se. In fact, a lot of it is quite ideal.
> Or rather, idealistic, should I say. Unfortunately, that makes it a
> pain to map to messy real-world situations -- you end up with a
> truckload of wrappers and incrediblyLongAndVerboseIdentifiers just so
> the language can remain "pure". As for being a straitjacketed
> language, this IOCCC entry says it best:
>
> 	http://www.ioccc.org/2005/chia/chia.c
>
> ;-)

Nice :) It's interesting how much in-line that is with the quote
from the old D homepage that was a big part of what made D win me over
from day one:

"It seems to me that most of the "new" programming languages fall into
one of two categories: Those from academia with radical new paradigms
and those from large corporations with a focus on RAD and the web.
Maybe it's time for a new language born out of practical experience
implementing compilers."