The DUB package manager

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Feb 23 12:18:08 PST 2013

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:22:54 +0400
Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> A trivial example is storage of pairs or tuples. That plus using
> Java's containers makes memory footprint explode. At 100K+ hash-map I
> notice quite high factor of waste. It's some double digits compared
> to plain C arrays. I probably shouldn't care that much since servers
> are having tons of 0RAM these days

That "tons of RAM" isn't always true. My server is a lower-end VPS, so
I have a mere 512 MB RAM: one-eighth as much as my *budget-range
laptop*. But it's been fine for me so far, especially since I don't run
JVM on it. (I know I could use a dedicated physical server and easily
get far more RAM, but I *love* VPS hosting - all the many benefits of an
external web host (ex: not having to pay for my own T1 or better), but
without the near-total lack of control or the impossibility of finding
a company that knows what they're doing.)

Anyway, I'd love more RAM and I will certainly get it when I need to,
but every double-ing of my server's RAM will double my hosting costs -
and doing that just for the sake of downgrading from a great language
like D to a mediocre one like Java (even if it's J8+) wouldn't make
very good business sense ;) Higher costs *plus* lower productivity and
morale...yea, not exactly a great deal ;)

My main point, of course, being: "Tons of RAM" isn't *always* the case
for servers. Thank goodness for D :)