The new std.process is ready for review

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Feb 23 17:32:08 PST 2013

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 20:14:14 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 20:07:43 -0500, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 23, 2013 19:32:48 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> >> Yeah, I don't want to get into this discussion again.  There are better
> >> ways (at least IMO :), but they were not favored.
> >>
> >> Once std.process2 is accepted, and in use for a long time, we can
> >> probably
> >> deprecate std.process.  But I don't know if std.process2 would then be
> >> renamed.  I can't remember what was decided.
> >
> > We might be able to remove std.process eventually and then rename
> > std.process2
> > to std.process (leaving std.process2.d to import std.process), but
> > Walter (and
> > to some extent Andrei) seems to be very much in favor of leaving stuff
> > around
> > permanently. It's likely that std.process will be deprecated (which now
> > defaults to warning about it rather than giving an error) and eventually
> > undocumented, but actually killing it off may take a bit of doing given
> > Walter's attitude about code breakage. He seems to be perfectly fine with
> > leaving around old, dead code on the off-chance that some older code is
> > using
> > it and would break if it were removed.
>
> I don't see std.date around anymore...

Yes. I killed it, but Walter has never liked that sort of thing and has been
increasingly outspoken about it, and Andrei seems to be jumping on that
bandwagon. For instance, IIRC, they both griped about actually removing the
deprecated functions from std.string. I'd _very_ much like to get rid of them
outright, since they clutter the code and actually were generating errors when
used until recently (since they were deprecated before the changes to
deprecated). Keeping them around is just plain harmful IMHO, and I may yet
manage to kill them off, but they don't seem to like the idea, and I fully
expect a similar attitude towards something like std.process. Unfortunately,
while replacing old solutions with new, better solutions seems to be fine, it
doesn't seem to be okay to actually get rid of the old ones anymore.

- Jonathan M Davis