The new std.process is ready for review

Lars T. Kyllingstad public at kyllingen.net
Sun Feb 24 10:42:23 PST 2013

On Sunday, 24 February 2013 at 18:05:14 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> 24-Feb-2013 21:41, Lars T. Kyllingstad пишет:
>> On Saturday, 23 February 2013 at 11:31:21 UTC, Lars T.
>> Kyllingstad wrote:
>>>
>>> Pull request:
>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1151
>>>
>>> Code:
>>> https://github.com/kyllingstad/phobos/blob/std-process2/std/process2.d
>>>
>>> Documentation:
>>> http://www.kyllingen.net/code/std-process2/phobos-prerelease/std_process2.html
>>>

>> Ok, a new version with non-blocking wait is up.
>
> asyncWait would be less verbose :)

To me, "asynchronous" implies that something is going on in the
background that will produce a result in the future.  That is not
what happens here.

I agree that nonBlockingWait() is less than ideal, though, mainly
because it is an oxymoron. :)  I considered "status", "isAlive",
etc., but I think it is important to emphasise the fact that if
the process *has* terminated, nonBlockingWait() has the same,
perhaps non-obvious, effects as wait():

On POSIX, it makes the OS clean up after the process.
On Windows, it closes the process handle.
On all platforms, it invalidates the processID and osHandle
properties of the Pid object.

If you or anyone else have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Lars