DMD front end should define a version containing the front end version

Don turnyourkidsintocash at nospam.com
Mon Feb 25 01:35:46 PST 2013

On Monday, 25 February 2013 at 01:04:01 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2013 10:16 PM, "Walter Bright"
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/24/2013 8:48 AM, SiegeLord wrote:
>>>
>>> I am quite sick of DMDFE breaking my code every release with
>>> bugs
>>> that are then solved for the next release (that is, if they
>>> are
>>> solved).
>>

>> Here's the current regression list:
>>

> http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_severity=regression&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
>>

> All regressions should have a link to the commit where the
> issue first
> recurred.

In my experience, that's nearly always a waste of time. In almost
all cases, there is nothing wrong with the offending commit, it
merely triggered an existing latent bug. This is particularly
true of forward reference bugs.

Knowing what the commit was, that exposed the bug, does not help
at all in fixing it. It's enough to know one commit where it
worked, and one where it failed, in order to be certain that it's
a regression.

OTOH making sure that the test case is truly minimal, is a huge
help in fixing the bug.