DMD front end should define a version containing the front end version

Don turnyourkidsintocash at nospam.com
Mon Feb 25 04:10:11 PST 2013

On Monday, 25 February 2013 at 10:09:18 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 25 February 2013 09:35, Don
> <turnyourkidsintocash at nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 25 February 2013 at 01:04:01 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>>> On Feb 24, 2013 10:16 PM, "Walter Bright"
>>> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>

>>> advanced&bug_severity=**regression&bug_status=NEW&bug_**
>>> status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=**REOPENED<http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_severity=regression&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED>
>>>

>>> All regressions should have a link to the commit where the
>>> issue first
>>> recurred.
>>>

>> In my experience, that's nearly always a waste of time. In
>> almost
>> all cases, there is nothing wrong with the offending commit, it
>> merely triggered an existing latent bug. This is particularly
>> true of forward reference bugs.
>>

> I didn't imply that there was anything wrong with the offending
> commit.

I didn't intend to imply that you did. My experience is that it
doesn't even have any useful relationship to the bug, and that
(even worse) you waste a lot of time trying to figure out what
the relationship is.

> It
> does help to give a reference point on where to start looking
> for tracing
> the different code paths down and find a resolution to the
> regression, a
> opposed to "removing this line" or "adding this safegaurd seems
> to work".

Intuitively, I used to think that, but I personally have not
found that to be true in practice. I think tracking down the
exact commit is a complete waste of time. In the cases I've seen
where it had a clear relationship to the bug, it was obvious what
part of the code contained the bug, anyway.