The new std.process is ready for review

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:01:55 PST 2013

On 2/25/13, Lars T. Kyllingstad <public at kyllingen.net> wrote:
> Personally, I don't think they should be part of the public API.

They're extremely useful, especially when you have to deal with
Optlink or other software on win32.

> How about we put them somewhere in the std.windows package?
> (std.windows.util, for example?)

You can, but they should be public and available to all system (that
means no version(Windows) shenanigans).

E.g. someone might want to build a cross-platform build tool and
invoke the compiler/linker manually (even if it's just an app sending
commands remotely but running on a Posix system), in that case these
escaping functions are very useful to have.

> If you have spaces inside your
> command line arguments, use the functions that take an array, and
> spawnProcess() will properly quote them.

What if we get a command from somewhere else as a single string and
don't know if it has spaces?