The new std.process is ready for review

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:37:37 PST 2013

On Monday, 25 February 2013 at 15:07:47 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> I suggest that either the overloads which take a single string
> be removed, or that they spawn a shell instead, and let the
> shell do the command-line splitting. Together with my command
> and filename escaping functions, they should allow the user to
> achieve any combination of executing commands with arbitrary
> punctuation in the program path or arguments, as well as
> redirecting the output to files (again, with correctly-escaped
> filenames) or other programs using the existing shell syntax
> present on both platforms.

I concur that they should be removed. If the user wants the
behaviour of split(), the user can use split() explicitly and the
serious implications of that will be out in the open rather than
buried in standard library source code and documentation.