The new std.process is ready for review

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Feb 26 04:28:11 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 07:08:37 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad
wrote:
> What if the variable is set, but empty?  Is that very different
> from the situation where it doesn't exist at all?  In my
> opinion,
> when it comes to environment variables, no.

Until today, I didn't know that empty variables could exist. They
don't exist on Windows: setting a variable to an empty string is
how you delete it.

Regardless, I think my point still stands on the argument that
it's much more likely for a variable to be unexpectedly unset
rather than unexpectedly empty. To extend to a general case, we
could say that an empty variable is as likely as any invalid or
unexpected value. For the 'rm -rf $FOO/$BAR' case, one can come
up with any combinations of FOO and BAR, such as "/bin" and
"../", where the command would have the same effect.