D as a prototyping language (for C/C++ projects)

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 08:01:57 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 15:43:42 UTC, dennis luehring
wrote:
> Am 26.02.2013 16:26, schrieb Craig Dillabaugh:
>> I am a novice D programmer and use C++ in my work. One thing I
>> find myself doing when I need to implement some non-trivial
>> algorithm is that I will originally code it in D and perform
>> testing from there to make sure I have the logic right.
>> Once I have everything working in D I simply port it over to
>> C++.
>
> i don't get it
>
> you are an novice D programmer and your programs are easy to
> convert back to C++ so you'r not using too much D specials
>
> whats the point of doing it like this?

It's not about using special features. As a matter of fact, I'd
think he'd purposefully stay away from special features.

The point is that he *develop* the program in D in half the time
it would have taken him in C++. Given this productivity gain, he
can mess and improve his program much faster and with more
quality than he could have in C++.

Once his D program is stable and the outline/flow is clearer to
him, and he knows what he wants to do, he only has to convert to
C++, which can be done very fast.

I do this too. It is *very* helpful when you don't know *where*
you are going when you start.

I'd stick to D all the way, but as namespace said, D may not be
mature enough, or stable enough, or just allowed as a final
language in the workplace :/