D as a prototyping language (for C/C++ projects)

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Feb 26 09:12:15 PST 2013

On 02/26/2013 04:26 PM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> I am a novice D programmer and use C++ in my work. One thing I
> find myself doing when I need to implement some non-trivial
> algorithm is that I will originally code it in D and perform
> testing from there to make sure I have the logic right.
> Once I have everything working in D I simply port it over to C++.

I have to say that these days (also as someone who programs for scientific
research purposes) I find that I can both write _and_ use D effectively -- the
range of functionality that I need to rely on is pretty solid in D.  Depending
on exactly what it is you need to use, your sense of the "maturity" of D may be
paranoid (but of course I appreciate paranoia as a virtue where scientific
software is concerned:-).

Now, that said, I can see myself doing exactly what you describe in a case where
I really felt the need to use C/C++.  The major reason to do so would probably
be ease of access to C or C++ libraries, or collaborative requirements (most of
my colleagues are C++ users for serious number crunching, although at least one
typically uses FORTRAN).