Are there any default dmd optimizations

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Feb 26 12:08:48 PST 2013

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:53:11 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/25/2013 11:56 PM, foobar wrote:
> > DDoc isn't part of the language but rather part of the compiler,
> > nevertheless it has its downsides. [...]
> > unittest is worse,
>
> I think you're missing something gigantic.
[SNIP]

I agree with all of this. Ddoc and the built-in unit testing features may not
be perfect, but they put us light years ahead of most everyone else. They
actually get _used_. If it's at all difficult to generate documentation or write
unit tests, they just don't happen in far too many cases. We are _way_ better
off with these. It's quite possible that improvements could be made to their
feature set, and it's quite possible that improvements could be made to how
they're implemented in order to make improving them easier, but we are _way_
better off having them.

And the fact that they exist costs you _nothing_ if you want to use 3rd party
stuff like you would in C++. You can write your own unit test framework and not
even use -unittest. You can use doxygen if you want to. Nothing is stopping
you.

But by having all of this built in, it actually gets used, and we have decent
documentation and unit testing. They're features in D which have a _huge_
impact, even if they don't first appear like they would.

- Jonathan M Davis