The new std.process is ready for review

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 12:06:25 PST 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:33:14 -0500, Lars T. Kyllingstad
<public at kyllingen.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 18:24:08 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> That's not how it works.  The expression [<anything>] allocates.
>
> Isn't that just a shortcoming of DMD?  I thought 'scope' was all about
> avoiding such allocations.

Not that I am aware of.  Any array expression calls _d_newArray.  Even
enums of array expressions call that every time they are used.

> The variadic part.  (And the Tango-like object part, though that didn't
> read like a suggestion.)  A single-string version of spawnProcess() is
> OK with me, in combination with either of:
>
>    spawnProcess(string, string[], etc.)
>    spawnProcess(string[], etc.)

OK, that sounds fine.

The tango thing was just for background (because Process was an object,
you could manipulate it before executing, thus allowing the variadic
setting of arguments).

-Steve