DIP27 available for destruction

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:28:15 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 20:42:57 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 02/26/2013 06:09 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>> I like overall approach and think it really should be rule of
>> a thumb
>> for designing D features - defining simple bullet-proof
>> semantics and
>> making conclusions from it.
>> As opposed to syntax-based special case coverage.
>
> Like it or not, that is what a compiler does.
>
>> What I do find lacking in this DIP:
>>
>> 1) "Optional parentheses" part needs detailed description why
>> exactly
>> those cases have special handling and how are they different
>> from
>> others. ...
>>

> That part needs a complete overhaul. It is way too complex
> given the goal the DIP pursuits.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of it. But several people really
seems to enjoy the ability to call function without (), so I went
through some codebase to see where it is used most and figured
out when it does not conflict with something else.

> I guess it breaks most projects out there.

I guess any changes to the way you call function is going to
break a fair amount of code. This is the most basic feature. This
is also why you really need to get it straightforward and simple.