DIP27 available for destruction

kenji hara k.hara.pg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:33:55 PST 2013

2013/2/27 Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>

> I believe that both Walter and Andrei have said on multiple occasions that
> one
> of C's big mistakes was conflating function names with their addresses, and
> this DIP appears to be trying to do exactly that. And I honestly don't see
> what it buys us. It just makes the situation with parenless function calls
> worse. At least right now, it's clear when you're dealing with a function
> pointer or a parenless function call. With this DIP, it wouldn't be.

I agree with Jonathan. DIP27 is a recurrence of C's mistake.
It would remove a language future, and breaking much existing code, and
then introduces nothing. Certainly compiler implementation may be
simplified a little by doing it, however it is too small benefit than the D
world destruction.

Kenji Hara