D as a prototyping language (for C/C++ projects)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Feb 27 12:16:32 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 09:07:15PM +0100, Rob T wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 February 2013 at 13:02:02 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
> [...]
> >This is not about adding "isPresent" to an already existing
> >"isBlank" this is about adding "isBlank" or "isPresent" which
> >don't exist.
> [...]
> >isBlank does way more than checking if a value is false or not. Do
> >you read the code at all?
>
> This thread got busted up into separate threads over the web
> interface, so maybe some people (like me) did not read everything
> you suggested.
>
> OK I see you wanted to add only one or the other, not both. I like
> the idea of having this function in the std.lib. I added it to my
> own "standard.me" library.

This is interesting. I have also been collecting a bunch of stuff that I
constantly reuse in my own code. I wonder if we should do a survey of
people's "standard.me" libraries to see what are the functionalities
most commonly missing from Phobos? That might give us some interesting
insights into what would be most profitable to add to Phobos.

Having said that, though, I found that my D personal library is much
smaller than my C/C++ one, mostly because Phobos already covered a large
part of that functionality! So Phobos is doing *something* right, in
spite of all its current flaws.

[...]
> PS: The web interface thread splitting is very annoying!

We *really* need to look into fixing the mailman gateway, which is
largely the cause of this problem. If I had the power to do it, I would.

Microsoft is to operating systems & security ... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking.