Migrating dmd to D?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Feb 28 09:04:04 PST 2013

Am Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:32:08 -0800
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:

> The motivation for the migration is not for fun, it's not even to "eat our own
> dogfood". The idea is to make the front end more reliable and more flexible by
> using D features that help. This should make us more productive and able to fix
> problems faster and presumably have fewer problems in the first place.
>
> There are a long list of D things that will help.

In a way it means "eat your own dogfood" if you compare C++ to
D. C++ may be lacking, but you can emulate a few things and it
has good code analysis tools.
Maybe I'm too pessimistic in thinking this will take a year,
stop bug fixes and stall language design issues from being
resolved as well as slow the compiler down notably, since
you'll be writing easy to maintain code using Phobos and a GC
and that is always slower than ASM, right? :p

--
Marco