Migrating dmd to D?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 28 09:18:49 PST 2013

On 28 February 2013 16:01, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 2/28/13 10:53 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>
>> On 28 February 2013 15:24, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org <mailto:SeeWebsiteForEmail@**erdani.org<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>
>> >>

>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2/28/13 5:03 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>>
>>         That will impair GDC and LDC quite a lot.
>>

>>     Let's see what the respective project leaders say.
>>
>>     Andrei
>>

>> I'll provide facts, but I'll reserve any opinion to myself.
>>
>> So, feel free to send me a list of questions you want me to answer. :o)
>>

> "Would an initiative of porting dmd to D create difficulties for gdc?"
>
> Andrei

Gnat's frontend is written in Ada, however it does not depend on having to
call anything from the gcc backend.

We still do not know what portions of the frontend is being ported over to
D.  The way gdc is written, it takes the D Frontend, removes all C++ parts
that interface with dmd's backend - toElem; toIR; toObjFile; toSymbol;
toCtype; toDt (this latter one I am in the middle of removing from gdc) and
implements them to instead build GCC trees, the code itself also being in
C++.

These are all methods defined in D Front-End, and rely on calling and
interfacing with the gcc backend.  Re-writing these in D is not an option,
as require access to GCC macros.

See tree.h for the majority of that list:
http://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob_plain;f=gcc/tree.h;hb=refs/heads/master

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';