Proposal: prettify template constraints failure messages

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 2 13:43:20 PST 2013

On Thursday, January 03, 2013 01:25:17 Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> What do you think?

Hmmm. Typically the thing that you really want to know is which portions were
true and which were false, and this doesn't help with that at all. What it
does is make the errors more understandable for newbies, which is good. But
for those of use who know more, they'd actually be annoying I think, because
what I really want to know is what the actual constraint was so that I can
figure out what's wrong. But I'm likely to look at the source for that anyway,
since it's far more legible there than it is the error message.

So, this could be a good idea in that it could make the errors more
understandable for newbies, but it still really doesn't help tell you what's
wrong, which is what you really want to know. It just tries to translate the
constraint into English. So, I don't know.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'm not exactly sold on it either. Certainly,
I don't think that it would benefit me, personally, at all, but it may be worth
it for newbies.

- Jonathan M Davis