Smart pointers instead of GC?

pjmlp pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jan 2 14:46:19 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 2 January 2013 at 11:41:33 UTC,
DythroposTheImposter wrote:
>  I'm interested in how the new LuaJIT GC ends up performing.
> But overall I can't say I have much hope for GC right now.
>
>  GC/D = Generally Faster allocation. Has a cost associated with
> every living object.
>
>  C++ = Generally Slower allocation, but while it is alive there
> is no cost.
>
>  So as the heap grows, the GC language falls behind.
>
>  This seems to be the case in every language I've looked at
> this uses a GC.

As a former user from Native Oberon and BlueBottle OS back in the
late 90's, I can attest that the GC was fast enough for powering
a single user desktop operating system.

Surely there are cases where it is an issue, mainly due to
hardware constraints.

While I am a GC supporter, I wouldn't like to fly in an airplane
with a GC system, but a few missile radar systems are controled
with GC based systems (Ground Master 400). So who knows?!

--
Paulo