github release procedure

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:51:48 PST 2013

On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 00:59:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> As always, when I try to do a release, problems crop up. For
> example,
> the github procedure agreed upon and outlined here:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Proposed_new_D_development_process#Release_a_new_version_of_D
>
> Issues:
>
> 1. you cannot have a tag and a branch with the same name. At
> least, you cannot push them with:
>
>     git push origin 2.N+1
>
> because it's ambiguous. So I prepended a v to the tag name.

It looks like branch should be 2.N while tags are 2.N.M. It looks
like the base of branch 2.N will be tagged as 2.N.0. If minor
changes are needed, they go into the 2.N branch, and when ready
the next tag on that branch will be 2.N.1, then 2.N.2, etc...

> 2. The:
>
>    git checkout staging
>    git merge master
>
> It merges master into staging, wiping out my changes in
> staging, and does not delete staging. Now that the release is
> done, we're done with staging. What is needed is the ability to
> merge from staging to master all commits in staging that
> occurred after it branched off from master.

I believe the intent of staging is to get stable snapshots of
master. At a minimum, I believe you'd merge master into staging
when you're ready to do a dmdbeta release. I would recommend
merging master into staging more frequently, but definitely not
as often as master.