Proposal: DPM, the D Package Manager

Marco Nembrini marco.nembrini.co at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:31:33 PST 2013

On 03.01.2013 08:02, Nathan M. Swan wrote:
> Here's my proposal for a D Package Manager. I want to make sure it has a
> good design before I write any code, so here it is:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/User:Nathan_M._Swan/DPM_Proposal
>
> I know there are many gaps in this, I want to see which are the most
> important to fill.
>
> I plan to make a central CPR in addition to the dpm program.
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback!
>
> NMS

First off, thanks for the effort. I think a package manager is a great
idea. However it's also a huge undertaking, are you sure you want to do
that from scratch?
Maybe it's possible to adapt an existing system to D's needs?

I'm not convinced that the advantage of having all your "support" tools
rewritten in D is enough to always justify writing them from zero,
unless they also improve on existing software.

I really like how pip/virtualenv works in python, maybe they can provide
some inspiration?

Also I think it would be a good idea to have a list of user cases to
guide the design, so that first it's decided how dpm should work, and
then an API and implementation is done. Should i just post a few here or
add them to the talk page or discussion page on the wiki?

--

Marco Nembrini