github release procedure

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Thu Jan 3 12:42:37 PST 2013

Am Thu, 03 Jan 2013 21:17:08 +0100
schrieb "Rob T" <rob at ucora.com>:

> On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 19:19:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
> > On 1/3/13 1:58 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> >> As I suggested to Jacob, if the wiki lists git command
> >> sequences, it
> >> should be complete (like a script), and not full of
> >> assumptions about
> >> other commands that need to be inserted.
> >
> > I think this is a pertinent point - the process proposed at
> > github is incomplete and scantily motivated. Can the experts
> > make one more pass through it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrei
>
> I'm rather concerned when I see comments that suggest that the
> purpose of the staging branch was not understood in the
> slightest. There's a lot of discussion on the issue here
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ka5rv5$2k60$1@digitalmars.com

Sorry, but I'm not sure if we have a consensus on some things discussed
there:
This is probably the best summary:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ka5rv5$2k60$1@digitalmars.com?page=16#post-woyboqigqbkqjxmshppn:40forum.dlang.org

"4. Feature can than be further refined and _integration bugs_ can
be fixed by the general dev team."

What's the overhead for many small feature branches? DMD work is
probably 90% small bug fixes and 10% bigger features. So most of the
time there are no "integration bugs" and we just waste man power
reviewing commits again and copying those into staging?

"When the "dev" branch is considered stable enough by the team
(exact criteria to be defined later), the changes are merged to
the _2nd level of integration_ - the "staging" branch. This
allows for a wider audience to test and provide real-world
feedback."

The exact criteria would be kinda important. But as we have many small
bugfixes which are merged every day I don't see how the master branch
would suddenly get more "stable".

What I am most concerned about are the timespans discussed:
"I propose to go for a yearly release of the
stable branches with one year support (In the beginning)."

The wiki discussion page even mentions "I don't think 4 months are a
ridiculously long time for staging if the release is made every 3
years."