[2.061] -unittest => /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 4 02:41:33 PST 2013

On Friday, January 04, 2013 09:04:06 Philippe Sigaud wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:50 AM, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>wrote:
> > On Friday, January 04, 2013 01:26:59 Philippe Sigaud wrote:
> > > I updated to 2.061 and now, when I use rdmd with the -unittest
> > > flag, I have a strange error:
> > >
> > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl
> > >
> > > Why does it need curl?
> >
> > std.net.curl needs it, but AFAIK, it's supposed to be up to the programmer
> > link against when they actually need it rather than it happening
> > automatically. I don't know what changed.
>
> I gathered std.net.curl needed it. But I do not import it. Is it somehow
> imported by the -unittest flag

I have no idea. dmd _does_ specifically import some stuff rather than relying on
dmd.conf (e.g. -lrt) in part to guarantee linking order IIRC, and IIRC there
_were_ problems with libcurl and linking order on some Ubuntu systems. So,
maybe something was done because of that. Maybe something was done to make it
so that -lcurl was automatically added if std.net.curl was used and something
with -unittest and Phobos ended up importing it? I wouldn't have thought so,
but I really don't know what to tell you. This didn't used to happen, and I
really don't know what changed. I can only guess.

- Jonathan M Davis