github release procedure

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri Jan 4 06:00:10 PST 2013

Am Fri, 04 Jan 2013 07:59:05 +0100
schrieb "Rob T" <rob at ucora.com>:

> I'm not certain what the major difference is between (1) and (2),
> because they both sound very nearly identical. In both cases,
> they seem to provide the same goals of stabilizing the next
> release, while allowing development to proceed unhindered, so if
> (2) can be made to achieve the goal I described for attracting
> real world beta testers, it may not matter which is used, however
> I would suggest that we always focus on serving the needs of the
> end user as a top priority as much as is possible. D requires
> plenty of significant end users working on significant projects.
>
> You did mention that (1) is more suitable for beta testers, so I
> ask how is (2) not as suitable?
>
> --rt

http://wiki.dlang.org/User:Jpf/Release_Process

I updated the page with some more git commands, ascii art and color so
it's hopefully easier to understand now. Please tell me if I got
anything wrong. The only thing I (intended to change) changed is that I
removed staging.

Although I can see the benefits of staging as you describe it, we can
get most of those by just creating a new release/version branch as soon
as the current release is released. This removes some complexity from
the workflow.

AFAIK it should be easy enough to introduce staging later on, when
everyone is comfortable with the new workflow. (Please consider that
many of us are not git experts - so if we can avoid some complexity now
and add it later if needed, I'd prefer that)