github release procedure

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri Jan 4 06:20:02 PST 2013

Am Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:02:44 +0100
schrieb "mist" <none at none.none>:

> Weird. While I was reading "Next focus: PROCESS" topic and
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Proposed_new_D_development_process entries,
> I was completely convinced that switch to faster release model is
> proposed, so that master replaces staging the very moment one
> version is released (and it is the same moment as testing of next
> release begins). Plus once a year or so release is marked LTS and
> cherry-pick bug-fixes until next LTS is out. Was my understanding
> wrong?
>
> Anyway, now I am reading all those comments and it feels absurdly
> like no one has discussed this stuff few weeks ago and different
> topic and argument has started from beginning. This is madness.

So someone who was part of that discussion: Please give us a short
summary. You can't expect everyone to read through all those posts
again, 95% is probably obsolete.

And most important: Were the main developers part of that discussion /
have they agreed? While I agree LTS would be nice it needs someone to
do it. You also have to consider the available man power.

But this is not very relevant for this discussion: It's always possible
to increase support time later.