github release procedure

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 06:26:20 PST 2013

On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 00:59:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> As always, when I try to do a release, problems crop up. For
> example,
> the github procedure agreed upon and outlined here:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Proposed_new_D_development_process#Release_a_new_version_of_D
>
> Issues:
>
> 1. you cannot have a tag and a branch with the same name. At
> least, you cannot push them with:
>
>     git push origin 2.N+1
>
> because it's ambiguous. So I prepended a v to the tag name.

Let's get a very practical case here. 2.061 have been released,
and Kenji already fixed a bug in it (unreachable statement issue).

Some people (including me, but I'm not the only one) would be
interested by a new revision of dmd with that fix.

It is why the proposal include branches as 2.N and revision as
2.N.M . So the same version of D, with bugfixes can be published.

The branch has a 2.N form, the tag has a 2.N.M form.