github release procedure

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Fri Jan 4 12:10:32 PST 2013

On Friday, 4 January 2013 at 19:59:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Really? Why on earth would you think that 2.062 was greater
> than 2.062.1?

I was asking for clarity so that no one can possibly get confused.

If you look at the download page, the .0 is missing on some of
the packages, but shows up as a -0 on some of the others, and
that is simply confusing and totally unnecessary. If it is
necessary for some reason, then it needs to be explained.

> Also, I believe that it's very common with Linux packages (and
> probably the
> projects themselves) to do that sort of versioning where
> there's never a .0
> and the last part only gets added when you actually get a .1.

There's no law that states that we must follow old conventions.

--rt