github release procedure

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:16:59 PST 2013

On Friday, 4 January 2013 at 19:59:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, January 04, 2013 20:30:28 Rob T wrote:
>> Absolutely! Otherwise someone is going to think v2.062 is
>> greater
>> than v2.062.1. Guaranteed. I already got semi-confused looking
>> at
>> the latest download page and I know what's going on far more
>> than
>> Joe Smith who walks in tomorrow checking out D for the first
>> time.
>
> Really? Why on earth would you think that 2.062 was greater
> than 2.062.1?
> Also, I believe that it's very common with Linux packages (and
> probably the
> projects themselves) to do that sort of versioning where
> there's never a .0
> and the last part only gets added when you actually get a .1.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Both debian and ubuntu uses version.of.software-packageversion

For instance :

$ apt-cache policy audacious
audacious:
   Installé : 3.2.4-1
   Candidat : 3.2.4-1
  Table de version :
      3.3.3-2 0
          10 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main
amd64 Packages
  *** 3.2.4-1 0
         990 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64
Packages
         150 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64
Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      2.3-2 0
         800 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64
Packages

3.2.4 is the version of audacious. 1 is the version of the
package. Distro rarely interfers with the version of the software
itself and simply resuse what software devs choose, adding their
own system on top of it.