github release procedure

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Fri Jan 4 15:02:39 PST 2013

On Friday, 4 January 2013 at 20:41:47 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

> Staging branch was there, so did the betas.
> What could have helped is announcing beta at D.announce instead
> of separate list. Plus at holidays there was not much of beta
> test coverage.

Yes, being the first pass through with an incomplete and poorly
understood process didn't help, along with the timing, so the
result is what the process produced in its current form.

We're definitely making progress however, and hopefully the
criticisms are taken constructively as they should be. We just
want to see things improve, that's all.

One improvement for next pass through, is to release installable
snapshots of the next beta directly on the download page (with
appropriate labeling) so that it is trivially easy for end users
to download and install the latest beta for testing.

Also, as I mentioned in my previous post, we ought to define what
"stable" means so that we have a much better way to judge if the
current beta is ready for release or not. As it sits, we have no
definition, so it's not surprising that some people thought the
current version was ready, while others are not so sure of that.

--rt