D based BEEP library?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Jan 5 11:54:11 PST 2013

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:56:00 +0100
Robert M. Münch <robert.muench at saphirion.com> wrote:

> On 2013-01-05 03:40:00 +0000, Rob T said:
>
> > For whatever reason BEEP never took off, so it's probably unlikely
> > anyone will  write a D version of it.
>
> I don't understand why it didn't took off.

This is the first I've heard of BEEP, but my guess so far is that the
main website for it:

http://beepcore.org/

Provides no explanation for how to use it beyond linking to a series of
long-winded and poorly-formatted RFCs, plus the site doesn't offer a
clear link to any ready-to-use lib. Either of those problems alone is
enough to turn away most people.

In other words, bad marketing. Unfortunate, since it sounds like a good
idea upon my first glance of it (aside from its choice to use XML for
certain things, which IMO is too much of an _unnecessary_ baggage for
something as low level as BEEP.)

> Maybe people didn't get
> what's the power behind it and how simple you can make your life for
> all network related things.

It may very well do that, but unfortunately, figuring out how to get up
and running with it doesn't appear to be simple at all, at least
if you're looking at beepcore.org. That would certainly hinder its
ability to hit critical mass and really take off.

I don't really get why some software engineers seem to think that in
20xx they can write up a series of code-numbered legalese-esque
documents (and with no formatting, and with baked-in page-breaks
despite being in electronic format), and expect that people will pay
attention to it.

It's kinda like how academic folk will write overly-convoluted (almost
patent-like) explanations, employ other forms of obfuscation such as
calling a summary or intro an "abstract" (just because some outdated
standard tells them to), stick it all into a multi-column PDF, and then
wonder why the non-academic side never bothers to pay any attention.